Pennsylvania Boy, 11, Charged as Adult for Murdering Dad Over Nintendo Switch
00:00
00:00
- In a Pennsylvania home, 11-year-old Clayton Dietz shot his adoptive father Douglas after his Nintendo Switch was locked away, leading to adult murder charges amid gun safety concerns.
- Rage over a seized gaming console turned deadly: An 11-year-old boy killed his sleeping dad with a revolver from the family safe on his birthday night in Duncannon.
- Shocking US case—11-year-old charged as adult for homicide after fatally shooting adoptive father in dispute over confiscated Nintendo Switch.
A shocking tragedy unfolded in a home in Duncannon, Perry County, Pennsylvania, United States. An 11-year-old boy allegedly shot and killed his adoptive father in a fit of rage after his Nintendo Switch console was confiscated.
The victim was identified as Douglas Dietz, 42, while the suspect is his adopted son, Clayton Dietz. The heartbreaking incident occurred on January 13, 2026—right on Clayton’s birthday night.
The Timeline

Court documents and statements from Pennsylvania State Police outline how the events began after the family celebrated Clayton’s birthday modestly at home.
Douglas and his wife, Jillian Dietz, sang him a birthday song before sending him to bed shortly after midnight. But the boy was furious because his Nintendo Switch had been taken away and locked in the family’s gun safe.
In his emotional state, Clayton rummaged through his father’s dresser drawer and found the safe’s key. He unlocked it hoping to retrieve the Switch, only to discover a revolver instead.
Police say the boy then loaded bullets into the firearm and shot his adoptive father, who was sleeping on the side of the bed. The shot struck the victim in the head.
Jillian woke up to a loud bang and the smell of fireworks. When she turned on the light, she found Douglas lifeless with a gunshot wound to his head. Moments later, Clayton entered the room, yelling that his father was dead.
During a conversation with police in the kitchen, the boy reportedly blurted out spontaneously that he had shot his father.
Clayton Dietz has been charged as an adult with criminal homicide for the alleged murder of Douglas Dietz. Photo: NY Post
Charged as an Adult
In questioning by investigators, Clayton admitted he was angry and didn’t think about the consequences when he pulled the trigger. He also reportedly said he had “someone in mind” he wanted to shoot—and that person was his father.
Those statements form a key part of the prosecutor’s charging documents.
The case has drawn widespread public attention because Clayton is being prosecuted as an adult on criminal homicide charges.
He made his first court appearance on February 19-20, 2026, at Perry County Courthouse in New Bloomfield. The slight-framed boy showed up in handcuffs, accompanied by a probation officer. The judge denied bail, and he is now held at Perry County Prison.
Defense attorney Dave Wilson said his team will push to transfer the case to juvenile court. So far, the family has declined to comment to the media.
The incident has rocked the small community of Duncannon. Douglas and Jillian had adopted Clayton back in 2018. Police noted that when arrested, the boy had a bruise above his left eye and a small cut on his lower lip.
The case remains under investigation and has become a focal point in the US, especially regarding gun ownership in households and how criminal cases involving minors are handled.
Indonesianpost.com | Detik
