After Landslide Disruption, Curug Malela Ready to Receive Visitors Again
00:00
00:00
- Curug Malela in West Java has reopened after being closed for more than three weeks due to landslides, following safety clearance from regional authorities and disaster mitigation officials.
- Local government, BPBD, and site management have cleared landslide debris, restored access roads, and reinforced several areas so the waterfall—known as “The Little Niagara”—can safely welcome visitors again.
- Although some facilities such as food stalls and a public restroom were damaged, tourism operations have resumed with officials urging tourists to obey safety signs, follow management instructions, and remain cautious during visits.
Jakarta – Curug Malela, a popular natural attraction in West Java often dubbed “The Little Niagara,” has officially reopened to the public after being closed for more than three weeks due to landslides.
Located in Manglid hamlet, Cicadas village, Rongga district, West Bandung regency, the site resumed operations on Saturday (May 23, 2026), following safety clearance from local authorities.
Head of the West Bandung Tourism and Culture Agency, Asep Dendih, confirmed that visitors are now allowed to return after a thorough evaluation conducted in coordination with the Regional Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD).
“We have officially reopened Curug Malela. Visitors can now safely return to the site,” Asep said on Friday.
He explained that the reopening was based on technical assessments indicating that the area is now secure and suitable for tourism activities. Authorities previously conducted extensive cleanup operations to remove landslide debris that had blocked access roads, while also reinforcing vulnerable sections around the site.
“Based on technical evaluations, the area has been declared safe, stable and fit for visitors,” he added.
The local administration is also planning further repairs to infrastructure damaged during the landslides. However, implementation will depend on budget allocations, which are expected to be proposed in the regional budget revision (APBD Perubahan).
“We are planning improvements, which will be proposed in the revised regional budget,” Asep noted.
Authorities have urged visitors to remain cautious by adhering to safety signs, maintaining environmental cleanliness and following all instructions provided by site management.
Meanwhile, Curug Malela manager Leo Marwan revealed that at least six landslide points had affected access roads and several facilities. Among the damages recorded were one food stall swept away, another severely damaged, and a public restroom destroyed.
“Although several facilities were impacted, all debris has now been cleared, and access routes have been restored. Visitors can once again enjoy Curug Malela,” Leo said.
During the closure period, he noted that some tourists still attempted to visit the site despite safety risks. Management had to turn them away for their own protection.
“At that time, we advised visitors to return home because conditions were still dangerous. Now it is safe to visit, but caution is still necessary,” he added.
Curug Malela typically attracts hundreds of visitors during long holiday periods, with tourists coming from across the Greater Bandung area and beyond, including Jakarta.
“On busy days, we can receive up to 200 visitors daily. Even during the closure, some people still came,” Leo said.
Indonesianpost.com | Republika
